Back in the gym after a week and a half off. My trainer was on holidays, and I said I didn’t need a replacement trainer while he was gone because I could look after myself for a single week. Turns out I was wrong. Anyway, back on the horse now for an arm day!
- 10 x wide grip lat pull-downs (25 kg, 30 kg, 35 kg)
- 10, 10, 8 x single arm barbell snatches each arm (12 kg, 14 kg x 2)
- 10 x raised push-ups (on bottom rung of pull-up machine)
- 10 x bench press (20 kg, 25 kg)
- 10 x single arm bent over rows each arm (12 kg, 14 kg)
This workout was actually a fitness test. I’m doing a 12 week challenge at the moment, which I’ll go into more details on next week post-Bogong, but for now here’s the results (I’ll re-do this again in four weeks or so)
The idea was to see how many reps of each I could do in the allotted 1 minute. I chose to focus on good form and not sacrifice technique for more reps, and I was pretty please with my results:
- 1 minute of burpees: 15 reps
- 1 minute of push-ups: 20 reps
- 1 minute of sit-ups: 22 (this was listed as crunches. I think they’re too subjective, so did sit ups instead)
- 1 minute of alternate lunges: 32 (I’m not really sure how I’d beat this, I was going at a decent pace. I think I’d be best to add weight and work to match this result)
- Plank for time: 1 minute 11 seconds
- Jump squats: 53 (low squats with good form)
Arm day! A five car pile up on the freeway meant I arrived 10 minutes late for my half hour training session today. I started my workout with my PT, then he gave me instructions for the rest of the session and left me to it. Normally in these situations I have a tendency to reduce either sets or reps, telling myself that I have to get to work and don’t have time to finish. Today I finished the full sets prescribed, with the right number of reps, without blowing out my rest time. It’s tiny, but I feel proud of myself for doing it.
- 20 x raised push-ups (on a bench)
- 20 x angled pull-ups
- 5 x jump pull-ups (jump, aim to pause at the top then have a controlled lower)
- 10 x barbell clean and press (20 kg x 1, 25 kg x 4)
Arm day today! Some new stuff in there, but (as usual) altered to ensure the safety of my dodgy shoulders.
- 12 x reverse grip lat pulldowns (25 kg, 30 kg, 35 kg)
- 8 x kettlebell clean and press each arm (clean to rack hold, then press to palm facing forward) (12 kg each arm)
- 5 x jump to pull-up with slow release
- 15 x angled pull-ups
- 15 x angled full-motion push-usp
Arm/back/shoulder day today. I forgot to take note of weights, so most of these are estimates, but that’s ok.
- 10 x overhead barbell presses (20 kg)
- 10 x angled full-motion (chest to bar) push ups
- 20 x single-armed snatches (10 kg, 10 x each arm)
- 20 x free-weights machine rows (10 x two different types of grips)