Arm day! Feeling quite strong with my arm work recently – It’s really encouraging. Feeling positive.
- 10 x bent over barbell rows (25 kg, 35 kg x 3)
- 10 x dumbbell bench press (10 kg each hand x 3, 12 kg each hand x 1)
- 10 x TRX angled rows/pull-ups
I think this was possibly the latest in the evening I’ve worked out before (6:30 pm) and that combined with having moved house across the weekend made for interesting energy levels. Still, a good workout!
- 10 x Kettlebell clean and press each arm (8 kg, 10 kg, 10 kg)
- 20 x wall ball slams (20 pound ball, so that’s… 9.07 kg)
- 8 x barbell cleans (20 kg)
- 8 x barbell presses (20 kg)
- 8 x barbell bicep curl (20 kg)
- 8 x dumbbell hammer curl (6 kg per hand)
This arm day was challenging, both physically and mentally. Mostly mentally. My PT got me doing some new arm-based exercises that, while I’ve done similar moves before, really pushed my comfort zone in terms of seeing what my dodgy shoulders are capable of. The only reason I completed the movements and allocated sets and reps is because I completely trust my PT in terms of what he knows my body is capable of and when it’s ready to have its limits pushed, and because I completely trust his spotting.
He got me doing bench pressing today, which I’ve definitely done before, but today we really worked on technique. Turns out I’ve been starting with my arms angled back (towards my face) and bringing the weights down on an angle (towards my face), so moving the weight towards my hips more was a big adjustment. He also reduced the weight I used for my second set of reps on the dumbbell bench press, so that I could work on the technique.
The horizontal flies were a super new thing for me, and very scary from a mental perspective. PT originally handed me 4 kg weights but we dropped them back to 3 kg – if I’d been doing less reps 4 kg might have been a go-er, but not doing 24 in a row! Ultimately I needed the 3 kg to push through my sticking point at the bottom of the movement, but could have gone up a few kg for the rest of the movement.
- 6 x barbell overhead presses (20 kg)
- 12 x dumbbell side raises (4 kg each hand)
- 24 x dumbbell overhead presses (4 kg each hand)
- 6 x barbell bench press (25 kg)
- 10 x dumbbell bench press (8 kg , 7 kg each hand)
- 24 x horizontal flies (3 kg each hand)
Arm day! My arms are pretty much jelly right now – I’d planned on washing my hair post-workout this morning, but the jelly arms meant that definitely didn’t happen. It was one of those workouts that was ok – nothing earth shattering, didn’t feel amazing, but also didn’t feel shocking or completely break me.
- 10 x cleans from hanging position (20 kg, 30 kg, 25 kg x 2)
- 10, 10, 8, 8 x jumping negative pull-ups (final two sets being held by my trainer at the top for an increased negative)
- 10 x inclined barbell press on smith machine (smith machine bar plus 15 kg)
- 10 x standing Arnold dumbbell press (10 kg each hand)
La-la-la-la-leg day. Boy, am I copping body karma for not going to the gym for a week. Despite doing no lower body exercises on Wednesday, when I hit the gym yesterday my glutes were sore from doing the dumbbell snatches. Yesterday’s workout included what I can the ‘jelly maker’ – the 45 degree free weight leg press. I enjoy this machine so much more than the standard 45 degree leg press machine – I feel like I can get greater depth, hit better weight targets, and push myself further on this one. I’m pretty sure my PB on this machine is 190 kg at the moment – here’s hoping I’ll break the magic 200 kg mark soon 🙂
This workout also contained barbell box squats. I was reflecting on these last night – at 45 kg, I felt like some reps were super easy and some were super hard. My form is just too inconsistent to go up in weight right now, and I find that really really frustrating. If I could get some consistency in my squats I could increase the weight, but right now I just wouldn’t trust myself to get back up from the bottom of each squat!!!
- 10 x barbell box squats (40 kg, 45 kg x 2)
- 20 x weighted alternating step ups with top leg staying on bench (10 kg each hand, 12 kg each hand x 2)
- 8 x 45 degrees free weight leg press (110 kg, 140 kg, 160 kg)
- 20 x jump squats
Another PT workout- arm/shoulder day
- 10-15 x inclined bench press (15 kg, 20 kg, 2 x 25 kg)
- 10-15 x angled pull-ups
- 10 x barbell cleans (15 kg x 1, 20 kg x 3)
2 sets dumbbell complex @ 8 kg each arm:
- 10 x front raises
- 10 x side raises
- 10 x bent over flies
- 10 x straight overhead presses