Arm day! Feeling quite strong with my arm work recently – It’s really encouraging. Feeling positive.
- 10 x bent over barbell rows (25 kg, 35 kg x 3)
- 10 x dumbbell bench press (10 kg each hand x 3, 12 kg each hand x 1)
- 10 x TRX angled rows/pull-ups
This arm day was challenging, both physically and mentally. Mostly mentally. My PT got me doing some new arm-based exercises that, while I’ve done similar moves before, really pushed my comfort zone in terms of seeing what my dodgy shoulders are capable of. The only reason I completed the movements and allocated sets and reps is because I completely trust my PT in terms of what he knows my body is capable of and when it’s ready to have its limits pushed, and because I completely trust his spotting.
He got me doing bench pressing today, which I’ve definitely done before, but today we really worked on technique. Turns out I’ve been starting with my arms angled back (towards my face) and bringing the weights down on an angle (towards my face), so moving the weight towards my hips more was a big adjustment. He also reduced the weight I used for my second set of reps on the dumbbell bench press, so that I could work on the technique.
The horizontal flies were a super new thing for me, and very scary from a mental perspective. PT originally handed me 4 kg weights but we dropped them back to 3 kg – if I’d been doing less reps 4 kg might have been a go-er, but not doing 24 in a row! Ultimately I needed the 3 kg to push through my sticking point at the bottom of the movement, but could have gone up a few kg for the rest of the movement.
- 6 x barbell overhead presses (20 kg)
- 12 x dumbbell side raises (4 kg each hand)
- 24 x dumbbell overhead presses (4 kg each hand)
- 6 x barbell bench press (25 kg)
- 10 x dumbbell bench press (8 kg , 7 kg each hand)
- 24 x horizontal flies (3 kg each hand)
Back in the gym after a week and a half off. My trainer was on holidays, and I said I didn’t need a replacement trainer while he was gone because I could look after myself for a single week. Turns out I was wrong. Anyway, back on the horse now for an arm day!
- 10 x wide grip lat pull-downs (25 kg, 30 kg, 35 kg)
- 10, 10, 8 x single arm barbell snatches each arm (12 kg, 14 kg x 2)
- 10 x raised push-ups (on bottom rung of pull-up machine)
- 10 x bench press (20 kg, 25 kg)
- 10 x single arm bent over rows each arm (12 kg, 14 kg)
There’s been a bit of a gap between workouts. I’m not happy with it, there’s some reasons why life got too busy, but also I played too many mind games and didn’t commit where I should have. Anyway, hit the gym yesterday and here’s what I did:
- Upright rows x 12 (15 kg)
- Angled pull-ups x 12
- Alternating dumbell presses x 20 (8 kg each hand)
- Inclined bench press with dumbells x 10 (10 kg each hand)
- Seated bicep curl and Arnold press x 10 (8kg each hand)
Another PT workout- arm/shoulder day
- 10-15 x inclined bench press (15 kg, 20 kg, 2 x 25 kg)
- 10-15 x angled pull-ups
- 10 x barbell cleans (15 kg x 1, 20 kg x 3)
2 sets dumbbell complex @ 8 kg each arm:
- 10 x front raises
- 10 x side raises
- 10 x bent over flies
- 10 x straight overhead presses