- Long Black coffee with cream
- Lasagne-stuffed chicken with cabbage and butter
- Sesame and almond crackers
- Fresh ginger tea
- Cauliflower nachos with taco mince, sour cream, salsa and avocado dip
- Strawberries and cream
The salsa and avocado dip isn’t 100% compliant – I’m struggling with a good salsa alternative though. It comes in at 3.9 g of sugar per 100g though, approximately 2.9 g per serve, so it’s ok. The avocado dip isn’t ideal – but neither is the price of avocados!!! And once again, I’m not eating much of it.
What I ate yesterday (in an unmeasured nutshell)
- Long black with cream
- Chicken and Leek Pie (from That Sugar Book)
- Almond and Sesame Crackers
- Bolognese sauce with cabbage and butter
- Low carb chocolate pie (baked by a lovely friend)
When I write down what I get to eat on this way of eating, I realise how damn lucky I am. My body loves this food source and this fuel, and when I stick to it and nourish myself I absolutely see the results. Over Easter I ate a bunch of things I shouldn’t have, most of which weren’t chocolate, and when I reflect I wonder why. Self sabotage is a continual cycle for me, but it’s a cycle that’s slowing down. Two days fully compliant and I’m on track for a third, with lunch and snacks all lined up for the rest of today, so I look forward to reporting on a fully compliant day 3 tomorrow 🙂
Wow, it’s been a LONG time since I posted here!!! The main reason? I found a way of eating that worked for me, every day, with success, that didn’t require me to put so much thought into it that I needed to blog about it. LCHF – Low Carb, Healthy Fat – is how I’ve been eating since August 4th of last year (2016) and it’s WORKING. I’ll write more detail about it at another time, but in the mean time here’s the thing. I’m getting married in 25 days, and I’ve fallen off the bandwagon a little bit recently with my eating. I’m certainly not ‘shredding for the wedding’, and my dress has been made to fit me like a glove so I’m not panicked, but I’d also like to give it my best shot at looking good on the day. So I’m going to use this blog as a food diary to keep myself accountable, and to stick to ‘green list’ foods only for the next three and a half weeks. It’s not hard, I’ve done it before – I just need to make sure I’m a bit more mindful about my eating. I’m not fussed with quantities, but more the types and qualities of the foods I’m consuming.
Here’s yesterday (Monday 17th April)
- Sesame and Almond crackers (no psyllium husk or xylitol, and with parmesan added)
- Brie cheese
- Beef brisket; brussel sprouts and broccoli with bacon, onion, slivered almonds and butter; roast pumpkin and fetta salad (kent pumpkin)
- Orange and Almond cake with icing made of cream cheese, rind and xylitol – with cream
- Pork belly with cauliflower, green beans and peas, pumpkin
- Quirky Cooking’s chocolate bark
- Lots of fresh ginger tea and some english breakfast tea (black)
Yep, it was a big eating day yesterday. It was Easter, after all.
Yesterday’s workout was a 17 km hike through the Dandenongs. The track was beautiful – a mix of towns, roads, hiking trails, some flat-ish terrain and PLENTY of ups and downs to get the legs working. The ups and downs were in fact quite challenging, which made it the perfect Bogong preparation trek. Not only were we getting some muscles into action, but we also got some decent kilometres under our feet which is really important. I don’t want to find myself with blisters at the top of the mountain, so toughening my feet up again after six months away from hiking is the main priority in this training.
The route itself was a bit confusing – we found it online, and couldn’t print a decent map, so we were going off street names. Ultimately it slowed us down while we looked at GPS maps on our phones, but in the end we we out on our feet for about five hours (including stops at waterfalls etc).
Leg day! My first morning workout in a long time where I haven’t eaten/had a coffee beforehand, so that was interesting. It’s hard to tell how much it effected me though – could have been a bad sleep last night too. I did pretty well, it was mostly that I felt sleepy!!
- 10 x straight leg deadlifts (50 kg, 50 kg, 60 kg)
- 45 second wall sit
- 2 x 15 metre duck walk
- Speedy hurt terminal sled push (50 kg added weight)
Leg day with PT. Got to the gym this morning and got a minor visual migraine – given that there’s no pain associated with it there was no reason not to work out, but what I discovered was the for some reason the visual migraine seemed to trigger lots of dizzy spells. So it was an interesting workout- but it’s a workout that I finished, so that’s positive!
- 10 x free weight leg press (100 kg, 120 kg, 140 kg)
- 20 x jump box squats
- 12 x raised-heel back squats (20 kg – barbell only, no additional weights)
- 20 x side lunges
There’s been a bit of a gap between workouts. I’m not happy with it, there’s some reasons why life got too busy, but also I played too many mind games and didn’t commit where I should have. Anyway, hit the gym yesterday and here’s what I did:
- Upright rows x 12 (15 kg)
- Angled pull-ups x 12
- Alternating dumbell presses x 20 (8 kg each hand)
- Inclined bench press with dumbells x 10 (10 kg each hand)
- Seated bicep curl and Arnold press x 10 (8kg each hand)
Another PT workout- arm/shoulder day
- 10-15 x inclined bench press (15 kg, 20 kg, 2 x 25 kg)
- 10-15 x angled pull-ups
- 10 x barbell cleans (15 kg x 1, 20 kg x 3)
2 sets dumbbell complex @ 8 kg each arm:
- 10 x front raises
- 10 x side raises
- 10 x bent over flies
- 10 x straight overhead presses
I went into the gym with the intention of doing deadlifts today – but all of the deadlifting stations were being used. The workout I ended up with wasn’t the best – I mucked around for too long trying to figure out what to do, so I didn’t get in as many sets as I’d have liked. Ultimate lesson – always have two workouts ready to go before hitting the gym floor!
- 5 mins rowing machine (at a pace that I could breathe through my nose)
- 3 sets:
– 10 situps
– 10 pushups
– 10 jump lunges each leg
– 10 prisoner squats each leg